The Rufford Village Website is a member of the Lancashire Villages group

The Lancashire Village of Rufford

 

Rufford village website

Go to the Rufford Village website home page

Events and things to do around Rufford

Local Business, Services and Trades in and around Rufford, West Lancashire




  Location Map
Contact editor@lancashirevillages.com
© 2002-2017 Hubmaker
All rights reserved
Web Hosting by Genial Host
Rufford In Days Gone By - Bertha Crocker & Geoff Tittershill
Web Transcript © 2003 Hubmaker. All rights reserved.
Reproduction by any means strictly prohibited.
Pony and Trap 1930's Mr. Tom Lyon, licensee of the Fermor Arms, prepares for a ride with his wife and their pony and trap.

Shown here in the early 1930s in the stable yard adjacent to the Fermor.

It is also of interest to mention that the Fermor Arms was a `working farm' surrounded by fields and meadows.
Co-Op delivery by horse and cart Here we see a Co-op lorry which visited villages from its base in Croston. These visits were once a fortnight and locals had order books which were given in on the occasion of each visit. The Co-op divi will be remembered by many as a `little something extra' which was much appreciated.
"Ernie" seen here in the foreground was the last of the Co-op delivery men to use a horse and cart.

Another well known Rufford family was that of the `Ashcrofts', photographed here at 'Thornton Farm', on Liverpool Road.

William Yates and Dick Sephton. These home reared pigs had been slaughtered and prepared for Swarbricks, the Ormskirk butchers.
Although Dick Sephton was a well-known local pig killer, his wife was equally famous for her fish and chip shop which stood opposite the Hesketh Arms.

Dick Sephton also owned a garage - on the same site as the present village petrol station and ran two taxis for the local villagers.