The Rufford Village Website is a member of the Lancashire Villages group

The Lancashire Village of Rufford

 

Rufford village website

Go to the Rufford Village website home page

Events and things to do around Rufford

Local Business, Services and Trades in and around Rufford, West Lancashire




  Location Map
Contact editor@lancashirevillages.com
© 2002-2017 Hubmaker
All rights reserved
Web Hosting by Genial Host
Rufford In Days Gone By - Bertha Crocker & Geoff Tittershill
Web Transcript © 2003 Hubmaker. All rights reserved.
Reproduction by any means strictly prohibited.
Hermitage Farm, Rufford Hermitage Farm. Earlier in its history a house and cottage were joined together, but Mr. Clifford Martland and his wife took the buildings to within a few feet of the ground before reconstructing the present edifice.
Many of the original features were preserved although the outbuildings which occupied the site of `Pear Tree Cottage' have long since disappeared.
Lane End Farm Lane End Farm - In the early days owned by Edward Bridge - a Methodist Minister, who introduced Methodism to the area.

The barn of Lane End Farm was used as a chapel for the Methodists. Preachers also used the house to pass on their message.

Chapel Canal Bridge at Rufford

Chapel Bridge. This old stone bridge has recently been replaced by a modern construction.

The local branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal was cut by hand in 1834. Barges brought stone, probably for walling, to the Hesketh Estate. Coal and manure were also brought to the village by barge.