original Fermor Arms in 1895. This was a very imposing
building and one much different in style to the present
New Fermor Arms which has replaced it.
However, this fine pub, well-loved by both locals
and visitors alike had to be demolished, when it started
to subside on its foundation of cotton bales. The
sloping floors and bar were famous in local circles
and appeared to give added strength to the liquid
The Fermor in its hey day was a popular meeting place
for trippers on a day out and their wagons and carriages
would congregate on the forecourt as the revellers
ate and drank within.
the Rufford Postman of the century.
Southworth, well-known businessman, who was a keen member
of the local cycling club. This was a popular leisure
pursuit of the times around World War One.